Policies and Procedures for Fusion
Student Daily Sign-in
- Parents are required to escort their children up the stairs and help them sign-in for all students under the age of 9. Parents will be called and reminded of this policy for the first 5 times that they do not accompany their child to sign them in and the child will be allowed to stay. Then on the 6th incident of not accompanying their child and signing him/her in, we will insist that the parent return to pick up their child.
- Students who are 9 or older can sign-in by themselves.
Students leaving the Fusion Site
- Students will not be allowed to leave the Fusion Site once they have arrived unless they have parent/guardian permission or they are being sent home for behavioral issues.
- Students who are age 9 or older will be allowed to walk home by themselves only after the parent has been notified that they are leaving the Fusion Site.
- Students who are under the age of 9 will not be allowed to walk home or leave the Fusion Site unless they are accompanied by a parent/guardian or the parent/guardian has provided written permission that an older sibling is allowed to walk the child home.
- Fusion is not a daycare. Therefore we expect parents to pick up their children when the program is over at 6:30 unless the child is going to Cross-over. All children attending Cross-over will be brought home on the vans.
Academic Help at Fusion
Fusion is an Academic Afterschool Program. Tutors are provided to assist your children with their homework daily on Monday thru Thursday from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm.
- Students are to bring their Pittsburgh Public School, Charter or Private school homework with them when they come to Fusion. In the event that a child shows up to Fusion without their homework the following procedure will be used:
- Parents/Guardians will be called and asked to bring the child’s homework to the Fusion Site immediately. In the event that the parent is not willing to bring the homework the child must go home. Children over the age of 9 will be allowed to walk home. Parents/Guardians will need to pick up their child immediately if their child is under the age of 9.
- Once students have completed their school homework they will be provided with academic work relating to Reading, Math, Vocabulary and Writing. The students will be required to complete this extra enrichment work provided. In the event the child refuses to complete this work the parent/guardian will be notified and the following procedure will be used:
- If the child is age 9 or above they will be sent home immediately.
- If the child is below age 9 the parent/guardian will need to pick up their child immediately.
- Students are not to bring toys to the Fusion Site because this is a strictly academic program.
- Students are not to bring outside food to the Fusion site since they are provided with a meal. Any student bringing outside food will be directed to put it in their backpack and eat it outside of the Fusion site. The student will be directed to put the food into their backpack and leave it there until they leave the Fusion site. If there are dietary needs which require scheduled eating times or food specific to a medical condition we must be informed by the parent.
- Students who are suspended from their elementary or middle school can still come to Fusion if their parent/guardian makes sure that they have homework, or the work that they will be making up during the suspension. If they do not have work they are not allowed to be at Fusion. In addition, students who are suspended from their schools will not be allowed to attend Crossover during their suspension.
Students are expected to adhere to the behavioral policies that are currently in place at Fusion. These policies have been designed to provide your child with a safe, friendly educational environment where they can grow both academically and personally. Students are expected to act in a respectful and responsible manner at all times while at Fusion. So, in keeping with our theme of “Respect plus Responsibility equals Positive Results” the policies regarding the following types of behaviors are in place:
- Students exhibiting positive behaviors on a consistent basis will be celebrated. These types of behaviors include, but are not limited to the following:
- Working quietly
- Completing work
- Bringing homework
- Staying focused
- Following directions
- Being respectful
- Cleaning their area
- Parents will be notified of their child’s positive behaviors and the rewards the student will get for following directions and being responsible. These rewards include but are not limited to: special field trips, movie outings, musical concerts, gift cards.
- Students exhibiting inappropriate behaviors will be disciplined. These types of behaviors include, but are not limited to the following:
- Excessive talking
- Distracting/Disrupting others
- Being disrespectful
- Using profanity
- Any physical altercations
- Destruction/Defacing of property
- Any other behavior that is considered unsafe or threatening to others at Fusion (i.e. bullying, threatening, etc.)
- Procedures regarding inappropriate behaviors:
- The child will receive a check mark and be told that they are receiving the check mark for an inappropriate behavior. This will also result in them being made to sit out for 20 minutes at Crossover.
- If inappropriate behaviors are still being exhibited the child will receive a second check mark and will be told they are getting a second check mark. This will also result in them being made to sit out for 45 minutes at Crossover.
- In the event that a child has received a second check mark they will be required to meet with the Academic Coordinator to discuss the behavior and expectations for immediate changes to their behaviors.
- If a third check mark is given for inappropriate behaviors the child’s parent/guardian will be notified and the child will be sent home. Children age 9 or above will be allowed to walk home with parent/guardian permission. Parents/guardians will need to pick up children under the age of 9 immediately.
- Children have the opportunity to have the check marks erased if they begin to exhibit appropriate behaviors.
- Children can have one check mark erased for every 20 minutes that they are displaying appropriate behaviors.
- If a check mark is erased it will not have any effect on their Crossover experience.
Student Suspensions from Fusion
- Students can be suspended for inappropriate behaviors that threaten others or are of an aggressive nature. Once a student has been suspended the parent/guardian will be required to meet with Pastor Tim (or the Director of Operations) and the Academic Coordinator to discuss the situation and set plans for the child’s return to Fusion.
- Any student caught defacing Fusion property or the Fusion Site will be immediately sent home and suspended. Parents/Guardians will be required to meet with Pastor Tim (or the Director of Operations) and the Academic Coordinator to discuss the situation and set plans for the child’s return to Fusion.
****Note that the purpose of the meeting with the Fusion Coordinator and Pastor Tim is to discuss and agree on how we, the Fusion staff, and you, the parent, will work together to address the behavior issues related to your child. Once we have an agreed upon commitment from the parent, the child can be brought back into the program. ***
- Parents/Guardians will be notified by the Academic Coordinator or the Assistant Academic Coordinator regarding repetitive inappropriate behaviors.
- In addition to the items addressed in the policies any infractions not specifically addressed will be dealt with on a case by case basis. Parents/Guardians will be notified and the infraction will be discussed and discipline appropriate to the infraction will be put into action.
We at Fusion feel that the educational experience is essential to your child. Therefore, we will still be open during “snow days” and “testing days” unless otherwise noted. A text will go out to all parents regarding any days that we will be closed. In addition, a monthly calendar with our planned closed days will be distributed to children and available at the sign-in table. The requirement for homework will be altered on these days (but only on these days) and the child will be given enrichment work to complete.